Her Wave Events
Challenge Her Teams Classic
The Surfing NSW Challenge Her Team’s Classic is an exciting new three-event surf teams series just for females. The three regional female events aim to increase participation and support females in surfing.
The events will see over 200 females from across NSW participate in a surf teams format that emphasises fun, collaborative surfing over individual competition.
The series is supported by the NSW Office of Sport’s Her Sport Her Way initiative that aims to build a sport where women and girls are valued, recognised and have equal choices and opportunities to lead and participate.
Through Her Sport Her Way, we hope create innovative and inspirational programs and opportunities that will shape a bright future for females in surfing.
The NSW Challenge Her Team’s Classic would not be possible without the support of the NSW Government and Office of Sport as well as event partners Surfest, Reflections Holiday Parks and Surfing NSW.
The Surfing NSW Challenge Her Team’s Classic will involve a fun Teams format at each event; where surfers can ride shortboard or mid length/longboard.
Events will also host a range of exciting workshops and technical skills sessions with more details coming soon.
So, we’re calling for all female surfers of all ages and abilities to join, put together a team and be part of the 2022 NSW program.
About the Events
There will be three events within this series across three regions; north (Lennox Head), central (Newcastle) and south (Kiama) – see individual registration pages for Regional boundaries for participation.
NORTH | Lennox Head | Bundjalung Country
Sunday 3 July 2022 at Lennox Head supported by All Girls Boardriders
CENTRAL | Newcastle | Awabakal Country
Monday 28 March 2022 at Newcastle supported by Surfest and She and the Sea Newcastle Women’s Boardriders
SOUTH | Kiama | Tharawal Country
Saturday 30 April 2022 at Kiama supported by Jones Beach Boardriders
How to Enter
- Entries open Thursday 17 February 2022.
- Get eight of your friends and local shredders together, assign a team captain and register.
- Entries close one week before each event
- Event entry is $250 PER TEAM payable to Surfing NSW. One person, the team captain, should pay this amount and coordinate payments within the team.
- Teams do not need to nominate their surfers upon registration however, on the day of the event all teams must have eight surfers locked in to participate.
How Teams Work
- Each event will have teams made up of eight female surfers.
- Four surfers will be nominated to surf mid length | longboards and four surfers will be nominated to surf shortboards.
- All events will be teams format with four team surfers nominated to represent their team in the individuals event and all eight team surfers will participate in the teams event.
- You don’t need to be a member of a NSW boardrider club to participate, the event is open to everyone.
- There are winning incentives for top placed surf teams in all regional events, with additional bragging rights of bringing home the first inaugural NSW Challenge Her Team’s Classic in each region.
Judging and Prizes
There will be one surf team winner of each regional event.
Teams Event: This is not a normal surf event. You never know what our judges might be looking for, they all have their personal preferences that they’ll share before you paddle out, the key is to be creative, think outside the box and have fun. (All eight team surfers will represent their team).
All registered surf team members will receive event goodies.
All surfers will receive FREE Surfing NSW membership post event.
Winning team prizes
Epic prizes will be awarded to the winning surf teams all all events including place-getters and the overall winner.
All queries are answered in the surf teams info pack here.
Contact email@example.com if you need assistance or call the Surfing NSW Office on (02) 9093 6035.
Meet the Challenge Her Ambassadors