In light of the most recent government announcement, we are starting to see a road map out which is the first bit of positivity we have seen in a while.
The NSW Premier announced that there are parts of regional NSW currently deemed low risk and which have seen zero COVID cases for at least 14 days. These locations will emerge from lockdown at 12:01am Saturday 11 September, but will continue to operate under restrictions to ensure the safety of regional communities.
Local Government Areas (LGAs) still seeing COVID case numbers will continue to follow stay-at-home orders.
Please refer to the map below showing the areas in regional NSW deemed as low risk and emerging from lockdown in WHITE and those areas still in lockdown in RED until further notice.
The following freedoms will be available to all people in regional LGAs where stay-at-home orders have been lifted: The WHITE areas.
Gatherings in the home and public spaces:
- Up to five visitors will be allowed in a home (not including children 12 and under).
- Up to 20 people can gather in outdoor settings.
Venues including hospitality, retail stores, and gyms:
- Hospitality venues can reopen subject to one person per 4sqm inside and one person per 2sqm outside, with standing while drinking permitted outside.
- Retail stores can reopen under the one person per 4sqm rule.
- Personal services such as hairdressers and nail salons can open with one person per 4sqm, capped at five clients per premises.
- Gyms and indoor recreation facilities can open under the one person per 4sqm rule and can offer classes for up to 20 people.
- Sporting facilities including swimming pools can reopen.
- Masks will remain mandatory for all indoor public venues, including public transport, front-of-house hospitality, retail and business premises, on planes, and at airports.
- Only hospitality staff will be required to wear a mask when outdoors.
- Children aged under 12 will not need to wear a mask indoors.
1. For the Surf Schools in regional LGAs where stay-at-home orders have been lifted:
(The areas on the map are in WHITE)
- Surf schools are able to return to trade and offer classes for up to 20 people including coaches providing it is in line with the public health orders in a COVID safe manner.
- Your Surf School must adhere to the one person per 4sqm rule for all activities if inside premises. e.g: participant check-in, wetsuit fitting, etc.
2. For the Surf Schools operating in the LGAs where stay-at-home orders are still in place. (The areas on the map are in RED).
- From 12:01 am Monday, fully vaccinated people who live outside Sydney’s 12 local government areas (LGAs) of concern will be able to gather in groups of five outdoors. We see that surf lessons in groups of 5 including the coach can occur if all are fully vaccinated.
Please also gain approval and check with your local council in regards to this.
Until then, all current restrictions remain unchanged.
Surfing NSW does not administer the Public Health Act or have enforcement powers under the Public Health Order and, consequently, we are not able to comment as to its interpretation or application.
We will do our best to keep you up to speed with any changes we receive from NSW Government as they become available.
Yours in Surfing
Surfing NSW Team