Surfing NSW’s purpose is to create a better community through surfing.
Our organisation strives to inspire all NSW residents to engage in the sport of surfing as a lifestyle, recreation or career pathway; therefore enhancing their life to become happier and healthier. Our mission is to be the peak state body for surfing by creating a sustainable organisation that facilitates, delivers and communicates the surfing pathway & sport as a whole through; quality events, education, community programs, sport development and performance programs that promote the healthy iconic Australia Lifestyle.
Surfing NSW is looking for a full-time Event Manager to join our vibrant events team based at our beachfront office at Maroubra.
The successful applicant will work with the events team to deliver over 45 surfing events per annum, ensuring Surfing NSW continues to produce high-quality competitive and lifestyle surfing events across the entire NSW coastline.
This role requires you to be onsite as contest director and/or event manager at majority of delivered events and involves a lot of travel to events throughout the year, many of which are across weekends.
This role will work closely with relevant stakeholders including Surfing Australia, WSL, boardriders clubs, NSW coaches, local councils, 3rd party event owners, NSW Government agencies and more.
Excellent leadership, communication skills, attention to detail and ability to work in a team environment will set apart the best among the candidates. Add a shot of passion for surfing, stoke and experience in events and you could be our ideal candidate.
- Manage the annual plan for the events, competitions and pathways department which aligns to the overall organisation strategy
- Manage event dates and locations of Surfing NSW, Surfing Australia and WSL events with relevant contacts.
- Project manage the delivery of surfing events and competitions and sponsor/partner activations.
- Manage supplier contracts and delivery requirements
- Create plan and manage event team members including team rostering and casual resources
- Deliver onsite event requirements as Event Manager & Contest Director, including competition computer operations
- Coordinate with media team to establish event marketing plans and maximise media coverage on commencement of event.
- Manage individual event budgets including preparing, reporting, reconciling and invoicing, including event invoices and time sheets
- Build relationships and rapport with local community and key stakeholder groups
- Organise and contribute to weekly event team meetings
EXPERIENCE PREFERRED (not required)
- 3-5 years of experience in a similar role
- Experience with leading and managing staff and teams
- Large scale budget management
- Large scale event and operational site management
- Project management skills
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to work efficiently to time deadlines
- A high-level of communication skills and attention to detail
- Motivated and creative self-starter
- Understanding of sport and surfing pathways
- Good knowledge of NSW beaches and surf breaks